People like to be recognized—some because of selfish reasons, but most because we all like our work to be appreciated. Study after study tells us that money is not the big motivator, satisfaction is. As leaders we need to be watchful, grateful and expressive about the good work of our team.
Questions for leaders to consider:
- Does your team know your expectations?
- Do they know what you are looking for when you visit their classrooms?
- Is your team aware of goals and objectives and how they relate to your school’s mission?
- Do you set time aside every day to watch them at work and observe what they are doing?
- Do you provide immediate feedback and if need be follow up with more explicit feedback later on?
- Are you collecting the right kind of data and actively using it to guide your leadership and your staff’s work?
Watchful leaders are observant. Watchful leaders are proactive. Watchful leaders protect their people. Watchful leaders are effective.